Friday, March 20, 2009

Eyebrows waxed

Last night after work I got my eyebrows waxed in the first time in months!

I called the person I always go to – Jenna makeup artist. I left her a voicemail to let me know when I could come in for an appt. She called me back and said “You’re back in town!”. I laughed and said, “no, I’ve always been in town – I’ve just been M.I.A.”

I’ve been too cheap to pay the $25 to get my eyebrows and upper lip waxed. I’ve been plucking and using small straight razors that are designed for the eyebrows.

For those of you that have not experienced waxing – it is painful but quick and the results are always worth it. First she trims the length of the eyebrows using an eyelash comb and scissors. The wax is hot and then the ripping off of small pieces of cloth to pull off the wax is painful and makes the skin red and sensitive. The redness doesn’t last that long. Jenna tries to pull off the cloth as soon as she puts it on since I have a tendency to flinch. It seems crazy that these are the things that girls do. But yesterday before I got them waxed I think I looked like a wooly mammoth. A wooly mammoth is not attractive.

Eyebrow waxing was introduced to me at a young age. I remember in junior high and high school I spent countless hours plucking away my eyebrows with my mom’s tweezers. Sometimes tweezing too much of my eyebrows away. One time my mom took me to get electrolysis and I cried the whole time because it was so painful to feel that shock to every single pore. My mother already had the laser taken to the middle of her eyebrows on a trip down to LA. I guess a kid like me wasn’t worth laser treatment, especially since it was rare and expensive at the time.

In college I had a good amount of spending money thanks to student loans and I got my eyebrows waxed at a salon. It ripped off the skin under my eyes. This happened twice in my life. I’ve gone to different people and they all do a different job. Most of them mess up the natural shape of the eyebrow or take off too much here or there and the result doesn’t look stellar like it should. Then I found Jenna. Jenna worked at Toni & Guy hair salon in Lloyd Center. Eventually it was hard to get an appt with her, and they were scheduling her for less work days. Then she realized she had enough clients that she could jump ship and be on her own. That way she could schedule people in whenever she wanted. It was on her time, and she definitely had enough people that would follow her anywhere.

I think everyone did follow her. She got a little studio in a warehouse building on the Eastside. It didn’t start out as anything glamorous, but it’s decorated cute and girly now. I’m just so glad I found her because now I have these great eyebrows that she shapes, and I don’t have to worry about someone ripping off my skin.

My eyebrow and lip wax went up $5 to $30 since I last went...but I think I need to make a point to do it at least once a month. It's worth the $30. It's like an instant makeover.

No comments: