Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I have a fear of falling

Today I have come to terms with the fact that I have a fear of falling. I am admitting this today because I only have to walk one flight of stairs to get to the nearest break room to fill my water bottle and get hot water for tea. I will walk up stairs but not down.

If the stairs were not concrete and metal maybe I wouldn’t feel this way. So I end up taking the elevator one way and if someone else is in the elevator and they see that all I did was go one floor. It doesn’t look that bad because my hands are usually full with a water bottle in one hand and mug in the other. Not this morning. I only filled my water bottle because I already had coffee at my desk. With one water bottle in hand I took the elevator for one floor. Boy, do I look lazy. I am lazy, but I will always walk up stairs.

I can’t go down because I’ve fallen down concrete stairs before and it sucks. All I can do is envision myself falling down the stairs and chipping my front teeth on the concrete. What is worse is my coworker Lori told me of her friend that fell down the stairs at work and broke her leg but it took a while for someone to find her because it was a stair well that people didn’t use as often. Ugh, a story like that is enough for me to take the elevator one level and risk looking lazy to others riding in the elevator.

Ridiculous, huh? I know.

No comments: