Thursday, November 20, 2008

A good night

I left my place tonight at 8:45 in search of food. I walked to Sungari Pearl because I was thinking some egg drop soup would be good. As I walked by I noticed all of the bar stools were taken at the bar so I didn't go in. I proceeded to walk to Fenouil with truffle oil french fries on my mind. I walked in and sat at the bar and what do you know...the bartender that walked up was my FAVORITE bartender that used to work at DF (de effe) across the street from me before they closed! I was in complete shock to see him since I haven't since May. When DF was open I probably went there at least once a week and ate chips and guac for dinner or a side of beans and rice...plus my favorite beverage there...the Sangria Rojo. Ahhh, I'm reminiscing right now...I used to walk in sit at the bar and he would say "Sangria Rojo my dear?"

So as soon as I saw him I said "oh my goodness, I NEEEEED a sangria rojo!". He said it wasn't the same, but it was still good and he gave me and taste before I ordered a full drink. So we immediately talked and I told him how traumatic is was for me when DF suddenly closed. Apparently the owners couldn't get a refi since they sucked the equity out of their sister restaurant. Then all of a sudden after Cinco de Mayo...poof. No more restaurants for them.

While I had my meal a couple came up to the bar to talk to the bartender. They run a vineyard and Fenouil purchases one of their wines. The couple brought tastes for future bottles yet to be released, and lucky me got to taste some of them! They said they don't have a tasting room so they are not a "winery" but a "vineyard" because they want to make sure they control their fruit and not have to purchase fruit from others to make their wine. Their place is named Anam Cara Cellars.

Quite the exciting night for me. On my way out the door I saw our mayor too.

No comments: